Tuesday, May 27, 2008

A Peek into my Front Garden

I LOVE Spring!
Miss Kim Lilac
We opened the windows on Sunday as it was a mild spring day and the smell from the lilacs out front just wafted through the house. At least, that's what Rob said. It just doesn't seem fair that I can't smell my beautiful flowers.
A Surprise Visitor!
Mama Mallard decided that the little corner between our front entry and the garage would be a perfect place for her nest. She laid 10 eggs and very patiently sat on them. I tried to be as quiet as I could while working in my flower garden but I still scared her away a few times. This is one of those times when she was impatient to get back onto her nest but wouldn't go any closer than this while people were actually nearby. Her babies hatched over the weekend but we didn't get any pictures of them. We don't even know how many hatched for sure. We saw three babies peeking up from under her when we checked them out Sunday afternoon. Now they are all gone and all that is left is an empty nest and broken shells. Hopefully they will make it safely to one of the nearby ponds.

The President

I love clematis and just planted this one last summer. It survived the weird winter weather and seems to be flourishing. Rob loves the rich purple color. I added a nice white Henryii earlier this spring as a companion, but am not expecting any blooms this year as I want to encourage good strong root development.
RED CHARM

It's just not spring without Peonies and Lilacs. I'm glad we live where the winters get cold enough for us to grow these beautiful plants well. I guess I should remember that when I complain about the long, cold winters. The colors of the blossoms here isn't as deep or as rich as in real life but it is still a pretty picture.

2 comments:

Laurie HF said...

Welcome to blogging! I'm excited to keep up with your happenings. My peonies have buds, but there aren't flowers on my clematis yet. I hope I'll get to enjoy them before we leave here. We have a robin's nest under the deck again this year. They seem to like that spot.

Sue said...

Since this is the first year for "The President" to bloom in my yard I don't know if it's early or not, but I wasn't expecting any blooms until June.

What fun for you to start from scratch with a new garden this summer.