Monday, August 25, 2008

Seminary Sundae

Last night was the 95th Street Seminary Sundae. It is always so wonderful to attend these events surrounded by youth who come out in such great number and to feel their excitement at being back together again after the summer break. We have just over 70 students registered for seminary at the 95th Street building this school year. They come together from 4 wards, 2 stakes and 5 high schools (plus the homeschooled students).

Alaina and her friend, Jenny, decided to spend the whole day together doing church things so J came to church with us, then they went to the 4th ward together. They stayed at the church building afterwards hanging out with some of the other youth who caught wind of their plans. As more youth showed up and found them in the kitchen they joined them there which made for a crowded and noisy room. Just what the youth like. I was in the R.S. room finishing up getting a few things organized and was afraid I would have to shoo them all to the chapel, but no...they heard the prelude music and went down of their own accord.

The program went well. It was fun watching the seniors( who had been in my class last year) present the RULES. I had a little tug of the heartstrings at that moment. Then when they finished, Shane Jacobs (http://www.shaneandmeredith.blogspot.com/) presented the funniest skit about the new start time. He used the amusing verse in Acts 5:5 and ended with a nice cross reference about "now is the time to awake to our salvation". It was hilarious and got the point across. What more could you ask?

Alaina and Sarah L then sang, "My Soul Hungered". The teachers had been a little nervous about whether the kids would settle down after the hilarity that is Shane but they did and allowed the spirit to come right back.
The girls did a lovely job and when they finished their song we watched the slide show, Reflections of Christ.
You should definitely check this out.
It was a beautiful way to finish the program and introduce the life of our Savior, Jesus Christ. It always makes me cry when I watch it but this time I cried a little bit more because I was sad that I wouldn't be here in this building with these wonderfully amazing youth every day.

You see, yesterday I was sustained as the Stake Primary President. I am looking forward to this new opportunity and am humbled that the Stake Presidency and the Lord have enough confidence in me to extend this calling. I have a wonderful group of sisters that I will be working and serving with and am looking forward to getting to know them and being able to work with and serve the primary leaders throughout the stake.

Rob was called to be the new seminary teacher for our ward so he will now be teaching the Juniors with Sister Lisa Whipple. At least I will get to sub for him once in a while.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Wow, Sue, congratulations (if that's the right word) on the new calling. Amazing how the Lord gives us these callings kind of in turns--first your husband, then you, sometimes both... I'm certain it's so we can help each other learn and grow.