Wow!
I'm not sure I would have started this project if I'd known
#1) I was going to start working
#2) I was going to get sick last week and not feel like sewing (let alone thinking)
However, it was fun learning how to do it and now I have all the little "ISSUES" worked out for next time (if there is a next time).
Our Gift to Brittany and Baby
(Sue, Emily, Emily & Alaina - thanks girls for letting me play with this idea
and being willing to share the cost of the fabric with me).
In case you can't tell --- It's a lined Baby Sling!
We saw on her registry that she was interested in receiving a baby carrier. I poked around online and found some good tutorials and thought it would be fun and interesting to learn how to make a sling.
I loved "wearing" Alaina in her infant sling when she was a baby and she loved it too so I am a big supporter of BabyWearing. I think it's good for the baby and good for the mother.
Lessons learned:
#1) The fabric is really cute together,
but lining the sling with this fabric makes it a little on the heavy side
and it is too much fabric for the regular size rings.
I should have either made it with one fabric OR gotten larger rings.
#2) The tail is too short for a pocket!
This makes it very difficult to adjust the sling as the baby gets larger.
Also, the pocket adds even MORE fabric which makes it even MORE difficult to adjust the sling.
YIKES!
Brittany may have to remove the pocket.
(even if it did turn out pretty darn cute).
#3) Now I know what I'm doing,
so IF I decide to try making another one
it will go much faster and easier
and I will definitely not trust the websites that say 72" is long enough.
Initially, I thought the sling would be a breeeeeze to make and felt silly having one sling be a gift from four of us so I picked up some flannel that will be cute with the bedding Brittany is registered for and made her a receiving blanket and matching burpies.
I've seen a couple of receiving blankets (and quilts) done with the edges all frayed and worn and thought they look kind of cute and updated....fun for a boy too....ya know, a little more messy.
I probably should have washed it one more time before I packaged it up....but time got in the way.
I hope the baby shower is lots of fun.
You should be able to click on the pics to see them a little bit larger.
By the way - if you are interested in making a sling - this is the site that had the best tutorials.


2 comments:
CUTE!!!
Wow, what a lot of work! And, what's this about you working? Is that news I have to wait for the HH for? I don't get to go to the baby shower either, we have rehearsal in the afternoon for our concert tomorrow night. But, Kathy gets to go!
Post a Comment