Friday, November 7, 2008

Yes, We Can

The election is over. Barak Obama will be the next President of the United States. The party in Chicago was rocking and rolling all night long. We watched it on tv till the President-Elect finished his acceptance speech, YES, WE CAN, and then went to sleep because Rob had seminary the next morning.

Many, many people here in Chicagoland are excited and thrilled. Partly because of the CHANGE that he promised and, I think, partly because he is a Chicago guy . More women in our ward voted for him than men (at least of those who have been vocal about their decision). Alaina was walking up one of the stairwells at school surrounded by African-American students who were exulting in the victory and suddenly an Asian-American student ran through them shouting, "OBAMA, OBAMA, OBAMA". They were all still for a moment and then burst out laughing and cheering. Let this be a sign of healing that might start spreading throughout this great land of ours, because there are people who are not happy about his victory, even here in Chicagoland.

I liked his acceptance speech. I have always been impressed by his ability to give really great speeches. The man can talk a good talk, now let's hope the country will allow him to walk the walk and that he chooses to walk a Good walk.

I like the quote from President Lincoln that he used. "As Lincoln said to a nation far more divided than ours, we are not enemies but friends. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection".

I like that he personifies the American dream, that he believes "that through hard work and sacrifice each of us can pursue our individual dreams, but still come together as one American family, to ensure that the next generation can pursue their dreams, as well". I hope America doesn't forget about the hard work and sacrifice part.

And mostly, I liked the way he closed his speech. "may God bless the United States of America".

No comments: