Well, that's it. The Illinois State Senate has reached 40 yes votes. This is the first time in state history that the sitting governor has been removed from office. It looks like the final vote was 59-0.
I am surprisingly disheartened. Not because I was expecting any other outcome, nor did I hope for any other outcome. Maybe I'm just discouraged. I voted for him, the first time he ran for office. I fell for his charm. I'd studied his platform and I knew our state government needed a deep cleaning from the previous administration (that governor is in federal prison - thank you very much) and I thought he was the best option. I guess my biggest question is why didn't somebody with a backbone recognize the damage he was doing and step up to say this needs to stop.
One of the state reps made a good point in saying that we are fortunate to live in a country where we don't have to form a state militia and storm the governor's office, removing him physically from office. Thanks, Mister ... ... ... I didn't catch your name, but I appreciate the reminder of why we sing, "God Bless America". And so I am proud to be an American and I will take the good with the bad. I will pray for good and work for good and pray that the people of this nation will stay the course so the Lord will continue to bless this land.
No comments:
Post a Comment