Emily invited her friend, Emily B, to stay with us for the weekend. She also invited her voice teacher (who says, "Hi Brian & Kim") to bring her studio students out to the house for a barbecue. At the time, Emily thought they'd be in the city and it would be an easy matter for them to hop on the train and come out.
Well, their hotel is actually near O'Hare so the only way to take a train here from there is to ride the Blue Line into the city, walk over to Union Station and then take the Metra out to Aurora. Emily also discovered that Brother Babbidge was coming and bringing his students. Suddenly the logistics got a little more complicated.
Rob was up for the challenge. He was excited to host this barbecue because he knew it would be a wonderful opportunity to meet her peers and her mentors. So he traded the convertible for a mini-van for the day and with Emily driving the truck they squeezed everyone in and brought them out for dinner.
The only time they were all standing still was for the blessing on the food so I never got an accurate count of how many were actually here. After dinner they split up - some went downstairs to play MarioKart, some went into the family room to play Guitar Hero / World Tour, some went into the living room to talk, some stayed in the kitchen to talk and they all took turns practicing their audition pieces. It was loud and a little chaotic and musical and actually quite wonderful.
Do you have any idea how fun it is to listen to OPERA SINGERS sing Hotel California! Or Sweet Home Alabama, or any of the other songs on World Tour? Bro. Babbidge complimented Rob on his singing. Niiiiice!
There were also some special unexpected treasures from the evening. I got to hear a countertenor sing tonight. Wow, what a unique and powerful sound that voice technique creates. I kept saying, "Is this still Ben?" We also got to hear Emily sing, as a singer, for her teacher, with us eavesdropping. Also, once all the singers finished running through their numbers the accompanist invited us to listen to a piece that he wanted to play as a thank-you for us opening our home to this group. I loved hearing him play the piano all night long but it was such a special treat to hear him perform "Ondine" by Ravel, just for us. It was so amazing, and we were interrupted just as he finished so I didn't get to adequately thank him and express my compliments. I can almost close my eyes and hear the music again.
Thanks to everyone who came to our home tonight and shared their special gifts and talents with us. Anytime you want to sing for your supper we will be more than happy to feed you.
2 comments:
Wow, how much fun! And knowing you and the hostess you are, I'm sure they all had just as wonderful a time being there!
I can just imagine all that wonderful music. Of course it helps that I've been surrounded by opera singers as we've been rehearsing for Carmen. I really feel like a tiny fish in a HUGE pond.
Post a Comment