I was ironing pleats this morning for Emily's temple dress and I had a fleeting memory of standing in Oma Dammaschke's front room watching her make pleated drapes on a large table that practically filled the room.
I don't remember how old I was. I know I was old enough to be able to hold still long enough to watch her and be amazed at how precise she was, I was also tall enough to see what she was doing without needing a chair or stool to stand on.
I wish I could remember that day more clearly. I wish I could go back and ask her if she found satisfaction in that job. Did she find joy in creating something that would add beauty to someone's home or was she just focused on getting the task completed so she could get paid?
As Emily's dress is coming together I am finding such joy in creating this for her. I'm more patient now than I was in my early sewing days, more willing to take an extra hour or more to make sure the fit is good and that the final look is appropriate.
This is the dress she will be married in. My sister, who works at Hancock Fabric, helped me choose the fabric and offered a couple of suggestions that have made me smile with delight as I've seen how beautifully they've turned out and have added to the simple beauty of the dress.
I can't wait to see Emily wear this for the first time in the Chicago Temple on Friday, in the Nauvoo Temple on June 26 and to know that she will be wearing it again and again as she and James attend the temple together as husband and wife.
1 comment:
I hope we'll get to see pictures. I know that isn't usually the dress that gets the photo shoot, but what a great labor of love!
Post a Comment